Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What are the risks?


I discussed the risks of all the options with all of my doctors, the risks for the conservative option and radiation option are clear cut and are therefore not an option for me. The risks of the brain surgery are minimal. Obviously there’s always a risk, but Dr. Ghatan said that he does 1-2 brain surgeries every day (not necessarily for AVMs, but still brain surgeries…) and he has never seen any long term permanent problems. However, he did say that there is a strong likelihood that I will be dizzy and not be able to focus my eyes for a few weeks, but that will go away.
Risks for the embolization are even more minimal. There is a 1-2% chance of risk with this option. But it is most comforting to know that Dr. Berenstein, the doctor performing this procedure, is the doctor who invented this treatment, so if anyone can do it right, it’s him.   
Both Dr. Berenstein and Dr. Ghatan were very impressed and surprised that we found my AVM before anything catastrophic happened. They said that every year I live with an AVM I have an increased risk of 4% of hemorrhaging. Understanding that I am 21 years old, I am up to an 84% chance of bleeding. So, it seems the risks of not getting it done outweigh the risk of having it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment