Wednesday, January 11, 2012

So, what's going to be with me?


After meeting with Dr. Berenstein, a world famous endovascular neurological surgeon, he can say with 60-70% certainty that he can plug up my feeder with one shot and that would be the only treatment I would need. However, he then sent me to speak with Dr. Ghatan, the neurosurgeon, to discuss what would happen if I fall in the 30-40% where the glue doesn’t work.
Dr. Ghatan explained to me that the radiation therapy is a non-option for me because of the location of my AVM. They are afraid that if they do the radiation, some radiation might (will) be absorbed by my brain stem, and that would cause permanent damage. He also said that the option of watching it is not an option for me for two reasons. Firstly, I am young and he doesn’t want me walking around with a ticking time bomb in my brain, and secondly, usually that option is used for people who have already hemorrhaged.
Dr. Berenstein, Dr. Ghatan, Dr. Schick and all the neurosurgeons in Roosevelt hospital discussed my case and all agreed that Dr. Berenstein is going to schedule me for the embolization and then, if I fall in the 30-40%, then the next day, Dr. Ghatan will come in and perform brain surgery to remove it completely.
I wouldn’t know about the surgery until after Dr. Berenstein does the embolization, then he will perform an angiogram and then he will know what the next step is and we will discuss it when I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment