Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"Tomorrow is going to be great weather for Sedona"

As my parents and I told our friends and family about our coming adventure to Arizona, overwhelmingly people suggested if time allowed we should visit The Grand Canyon or The Red Rocks at Sedona. The only time we have for "site seeing" is tomorrow, Wednesday.
I was telling the doctor yesterday that we wanted to go site-seeing on Wednesday. He wasn't super confident that could be a possibility for me-- especially it would be impossible if I had embolization today. But, he did say, The Grand Canyon is quite far and we should not leave Arizona without seeing the Sedona Red Rocks.

So, this morning, I got to the hospital at 5:30am and began prep. They took about an hour to get me ready to operate. Dr. McDougall's fellow came to talk to us before the procedure began. We re-discussed the risks and apprehensions of embolization. He ensured us that Dr. McDougall will be very conservative with the use of the glue. Still nervous, but much more comfortable than yesterday, I okayed the procedure with potential embolization and gave my parents a hug and kiss as the doctors rolled me off at 7:45am.

I woke up at 9:15am in recovery. First words out of my mouth, "did they embolize me???" "no, they found the AVM to be smaller than expected so, embolization was a non-issue; and, due to the smaller size of the AVM, surgery on Thursday will be less complicated and quicker."
My second question: "Where's Abigail (my stuffed giraffe)?!?!?!?! did you embolize her????" "hahaha! no, she wasn't embolized" they reassured me that the procedure was a success for both me and my stuffed giraffe, Abigail. 
"Did someone tell my mom that I'm out, up, and no embolization???" "Dr. McDougall is talking to them now." "Good. I think you'll like my mom, she's nice." and I rolled over and fell asleep for an hour.
After I woke up, my parents were sitting with me and the doctor raised my bed from laying down. He had me do all of the procedure neuro testings: fingers to nose, squeeze fingers, push toes, pull toes, hands straight ahead, hold them still... I got up and walked to the bathroom-- verifying that there were in fact no complications.

I was released from the hospital just before noon and went back to the hotel with an ice pack and directions to rest and recline.

On the ride to the hotel my mom was telling me what happened when  Dr. McDougall came to them in the waiting area. His approach to them really speaks volumes to his personality. He said, "Well, you got very lucky with the weather for tomorrow-- it's going to be beautiful weather for Sedona!  We didn't embolize and Melissa will be released in a few hours."

I've been recuperating in the hotel all day and I am much less sore now than before. I get to shower after 9am tomorrow and then we will leave for Sedona!! All in all, it was a great day with great doctors and a great outcome of my procedure!! Here's to hoping for the same luck on Thursday!


Once again, words cannot describe how blessed I feel to have such a phenomenal support group throughout this weird journey!! Braink You for the prayers. Braink you for reaching out to me and my family. Braink you for the 'likes' and comments of support.... I would not be able to have such a positive attitude without each and every one of you supporting me along the way. Braink you.


No comments:

Post a Comment