Thursday, November 24, 2016

Turkey Trot 2016

5 years ago, almost to the day, I was diagnosed with a cerebellar AVM. As if that wasn't enough, after a complication during surgery a couple of months later, I was faced with relearning to walk. Not able to stand without assistance, I made a goal to complete a 5K. After much hard work and amazing therapists, I was surrounded by my friends and family as I ran through the finish line of my first 5K in September 2012 Since that day, I promised myself that once a year, I will complete a 5K because I can!
This year I really wanted to do a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot, unfortunately all of the ones I could make it to were sold out. Instead, I mapped 3.1 miles and ran from my apartment to the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Without any training, I completed it with a little over 15 minute miles.
As I ran the last mile, I realized that this will be my first (of many more) 5Ks post-AVM life... and that felt great! Today, and everyday, I am thankful for my health, friends and family. Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment